5 May 2014

Low clouds and thin sunlight



Well it has been rather dreary weather here, and I have been passing the time creatively. Using my stash of new found fabrics, and a  few that I have had stowed away, I stitched up a patchwork pillow of sorts, using a french seam method for added interest and durability. The process was a rather time consuming one, but I believe, the more time spent on quality craftsmanship, the better the finished article.
My sister's birthdays are within days of each other in the month of May, and they being nature lovers themselves, I thought it apt to make a couple of cards with a simple potato print pattern depicting a Banksia flower. The poem that i have over printed on is by Australian poet Ella McFadyen and I would like to share it here, as it is most appropriate at this time of the year.


THE BANKSIA INN

The clouds are low and the hills are grey,
And the sunlight cold and thin.
Hungry and chill is the bush today,
Said one little bird : "Prey where
do you stay?"
And the other bird piped from a
wind blown spray:
"I lodge at the Banksia Inn.
There's room for you and there's room for me,
At the friendly Inn of The Banksia Tree."

"The boughs are thick and the beds
are rare,
To snuggle us warm from cold;
The guests are fed on the sweetest fare
Honey for all,  enough to spare
And yonder it stands all glowing there
With it's lights of red and gold
Supper and bed for you and me,
At the kindly Inn of The Banksia Tree."

Ellen McFadyen



No comments: