27 May 2016

there's a chill in the air









Chilly winter mornings after the rain are one of life's great pleasures. Views from our windows this morning were bathed in sparkling sunlight on wet autumn foliage. Temperatures are dropping finally , and reassuringly, it's starting to feel like winter. Although most of this old house is very hard to heat, the lounge room being the main source of heat becomes the centre of activity and has the effect of drawing everyone together. Depending on one's circumstances,  this may be seen as being advantageous or maybe not so, but in my view it has the bonus of bringing people together.


But what of the image of snow and ice at the start of this post? The last few days has seen me converting old slides taken by my old pop, and of particular interest to me, were the shots he had taken while flying over the Antarctica, of which were about 40 in all. Rather than spend exorbitant amounts of money having them professionally developed I had a go myself with the help of my camera set on macro , and a hand made  slide viewing device made of cardboard designed to filter out the competing light. Worked a treat and was rewarded with some beautiful and mesmerising images of this great continent.

No comments: