25 April 2017










A trip to city basement books yesterday and I came home with this book amongst a couple of others. Have not visited the store since it moved location and was pleasantly surprised by the huge range, in particular  the antartica section which I discovered to be a treasure trove. Easily the largest range of books specializing on the subject that I have ever come across in person. Numerous old rare books by various explorers, including Sir Douglas Mawson and Roald Amundsen made it dfficult for me to choose. I came away with Fourteen Men at Heard Island and The Great WHite South - the latter clothed in a beautiful but heavily damaged dust jacket, nothing that I couldn't repair though with a little care. Armed with the acid free glue , paper and watercolors, the book looks well cared for and presentable now. Should be a good read over a cuppa. Alas, Chocolate cake will have to wait for the next celebration. 

No comments: