31 May 2023

Porridge and Honouring the Old Ways











A brown cardboard box was delivered to my doorstep this morning of which I was eagerly awaiting.  Shipped from Tasmania, across the seas of the Bass Straight, this parcel took a  journey that should logically take weeks, but only took days. I think we take space and time for granted these days as we want quick satisfaction. 

Given my thoughts, this treat is highly appreciated. I purchased a brass pin for the purpose of securing my hand knit scarves, and a handcrafted blackwood spurtle. What is a spurtle? According to Wikipedia -

"The spurtle is a wooden Scottish kitchen tool, dating from the 15th century, that is used to stir porridge, soups, stews, and broths. The rod-like shape means that porridge can be stirred without congealing and forming lumps, unlike a spoon, which would have a dragging effect during stirring. The low surface area reduces the chances of porridge sticking to the instrument."

As a porridge lover, I am curious as to how this tool will perform and look forward to testing it, when cooking up the next batch of porridge.

No comments: