26 May 2015

antique sewing ephemera


Some pleasant little finds whilst pottering around at the local op for some yarn. A good rummage around inside boxes of  haphazardly arranged and discarded sewing notions  revealed these little beauties. 
I believe this 1st little packet of needles, made by the company Abel Morrall, to be dated back to the early nineteen hundreds. A time when such items would have been produced at a higher quality than today's equivalents. Opening up the meticulously illustrated paper flaps, I found  a few of the original tiny needles attached to a piece of flannelette fabric.




A second find were these dressmaking pins, by manufacturer D.F. Tayler & Co. still contained within. It Felt strange to be the first to open this packet in 100 odd years. Precious purists, I apologize, but I don't believe I've lowered it's value too much by doing so. What strikes me about these items is the obvious pride and value taken in presenting such a tiny product.  Such a far cry from today's approach  .




  ....and finally , two packets of needles by the Redditch company. The packet design suggests these to be produced  around the 40's or 50's, but still retain the fold out presentation of earlier packets. These could be compared to a victorian set, itself being darker and more formal in design, which I inherited from my great aunt - herself a splendid seamstress.  



I am delighted with these little gems of historical interest, and they will be joining my other sewing notions , that I have tucked away inside my wooden sewing box.  Now i'm off to more practical matters behind the sewing machine.

No comments: