20 August 2020

a bush wander today


Although the weather was a bit cloudy and dank today, we managed to escape the house for a leisurely stroll around Bateman Reserve in the afternoon. The land is owned by Vicroads but is classed as a significant conservation area for its many different species of wattle and wildflowers as well as being an important green island for passing birds.




Looking up I discovered large and unusual fungi clinging to trees. 
Lorikeets were holding a meeting in another tree and  noisy miners were in the vicinity. I heard a distant currawong calling and spotted a quick willy wagtail. 




And these two - I think they are called Masked Pagies if I remember.




The bush is regenerating after controlled burns here about a year ago.


Sundew in flower. 


One of many tracks winding in and out of the 6 acres of bush.


Common heath






The reserve is home to several species of wattle which is significant for a reserve of this size.



Nodding greenhood orchids, also known as parrots beak orchid.


I parted company with the 'masked pagies' and approached the paddocks.....


....where I met this majestic creature. After wandering up to the fence from the other side of the field, we had a short chat and then I was on my way again, only to find I was stopped from getting any further by a locked fence. 



Decided on a bit of bush bashing, which didn't get me far, so did an about turn, only to see the horse still at the fence watching me as I returned. 




Purple coral pea




more flowering acacias...





Many different little flowers . This one is known as Early Nancy. I have learnt that the female and male grow on separate plants.



I hope to visit again in another few weeks to see the changes brought on by the commencement of Spring season..



 


1 comment:

edwin said...

A wonderous bush wander!